We Draw the Line. Works on War, Memory and Affection: Mónica Mayer and Víctor Lerma
Chalton Gallery, May 1 - 31, 2019
Private view: May 1, 18-21 h.
Chalton Gallery presents as part of its programme this exhibition featuring work by Mexican art collective Pinto Mi Raya. This collective was formed in 1989 by Mónica Mayer and Víctor Lerma. The group’s self-declared objective is to “lubricate the art system” through “applied conceptual art” that, in addition to its symbolic qualities, interacts directly with its cultural and political context, using humour and affect to establish a dialogue with different communities. Their multidisciplinary performative work creates an alternative model with respect to the hegemonic art system, opening up new possibilities for personal and collective transformation and resistance.
Mónica Mayer (Mexico City, 1954) Mexican feminist artist, her practice includes performance, works on paper, writing and teaching. Víctor Lerma (Tijuana, 1949)his practice includes multimedia objects, architectural interventions and work with archives, as well as performance.
The exhibition includes three key long-term projects that this artistic duo has produced and continued to reactivate over the course of their thirty years of personal and political collaboration: Las bodas y el divorcio, (The Weddings and the Divorce), No Celebro Ni Conmemoro Guerras (I Don’t Celebrate Nor Commemorate Wars) and Abrazos (Hugs). There will be activations of several of the pieces throughout the duration of the exhibition.
The show has been conceptualised by Karen Cordero Reiman, a Mexico City based art historian, curator and writer who has worked extensively on modern and contemporary art from a feminist perspective, in collaboration with art historian and curator Lassla Esquivel, of the London-based platform Periferia Projects.
1) Mónica Mayer and Víctor Lerma . Abrazos 1. ABRAZOS / HUGS
Performance. Transylvania, 2008.
2) Mónica Mayer y Víctor Lerma. Abrazos 2. ABRAZOS / HUGS
Performance. Israel, 2009. Photo: Nimrod Gershoni.
3) Mónica Mayer and Víctor Lerma. Bodas 1. BODA FALSA / FAKE WEDDING
Performance. Mexico City, 1990.
4) Mónica Mayer and Víctor Lerma. Bodas 2. EL DIVORCIO / THE DIVORCE
Performance. Mexico City, 2005.
5) Mónica Mayer y Víctor Lerma. Mi bandera. NUESTRA BANDERA / OUR FLAG
Performance. Mexico City, 2003. Photo: Antonio Juárez.
6) Mónica Mayer and Víctor Lerma, in collaboration with Genaro Recabarren. Sin título (El abrazo). SIN TÍTULO (EL ABRAZO) / UNTITLED (THE HUG)
Video. Mexico City, 2015.
7) Mónica Mayer and Víctor Lerma. Yo no celebro. YO NO CELEBRO NI CONMEMORO GUERRAS / I DON’T CELEBRATE NOR COMMEMORATE WARS
Performance. Mexico City, 2016. Photo: Antonio Juárez